The East Window of the Church consists of five lancets with heights ranging from 20 to 25 feet. They have a label moulding with faces on the corbel heads. One of these faces is seen to be wearing a cap of the type worn by stonemasons at the time of the church's construction. It is probable that this is a practical joke by the workmen and may well be a representation of their foreman. The visitor is left to detect which of the faces is in question for him or herself!
The window depicts various scenes from Christ's life on Earth and bears the inscription;"TO THE GLORY OF GOD, GIVEN BY MARY JANE BARTON A D 1875 THE JUBILEE YEAR OF THE CONSECRATION OF THIS CHURCH AND THE 25TH OF THE PASTORATE OF THE REVEREND JOHN STOCK MA". On the south side of the chancel above the organ pipes is a clerestory window containing a picture of The Good Shepherd and the inscription "IN MEMORY OF ALEXANDER HEALD WHO DIED JANUARY 1st 1877". Above the north chapel, on the opposite side of the chancel, are two windows, one of which bears the title "ONE THING IS NEEDFUL" and "IN MEMORY OF CHARLOTTE HEALD WIFE OF ALEXANDER HEALD AND MOTHER OF THOMAS HEALD ENTERED INTO REST JANUARY 21st 1914". The other has the name DORCAS under it and "IN MEMORY OF SARAH AGNES (CISSIE) WIFE OF THOMAS HEALD ENTERED INTO REST AUGUST 16th 1920". Beneath the latter windows are memorial plaques to members of the Hibbert family, notable benefactors of the church.
This is a further memorial to the ministry at St George's of its first vicar, John Stock. After many years of dedicated polishing, the inscription on the base is barely visible. It records his thirty-eight years as curate and vicar.
These are a relatively recent addition, having been installed in 1977. Originating from the Parish Church of Ulverston in Cumbria, they appear to have languished for some time at Standish. Originally gas powered, they were cleaned and converted to electric lighting for installation at St George's.
The West Window
At the western end of the nave and to the rear of the gallery is a fine window which, being best observed from the sanctuary, often goes unnoticed by members of the congregation and visitors. It is seen at its best when illuminated from behind by the setting sun. The window is set in wooden tracery and depicts the Easter Tomb. Beneath this scene are the words "CORONA VICTRIX" and "WHY SEEK YE THE LIVING AMONG THE DEAD, HE IS NOT HERE, HE IS RISEN".
A marble plaque in the inner entrance hall pays tribute to those from St George's Church who died in the First World War, the bells being installed as their memorial. The smaller plaque on the opposite wall relates to the gift of the Tenor Bell, given in memory of Captain Hibbert who also lost his life in the Great War.
Church bells view of 4 of10Church bells full view of 10These ten bells are unusual and are not traditional. Installed in 1919, they are Ellacombe chimes by Mears and Stainbank. The bells are hemispherical in shape and are mounted co-axially on a horizontal shaft. The bells are sounded by being struck by hammers using a series of ropes fitted into a framework which is in the Tower Room. The heaviest bell is called the Tenor and the lightest one is the Treble.
As a chime, they can readily be used to produce tunes, thus unabling inexperienced campanologists and young children to ring out hymns, both traditional and modern, and peals. Link with Bell Ringers. The provision of the Tenor Bell by the Hibbert family also serves to remind us of the connection between St George's and the young Captain Hibberts famous father, Sir Henery Hibbert Bt, M.P.
Sir Henry was a native of Chorley who, overcoming a crippling condition as a child, became a national figure in the commercial world and a leading education reformist. He was knighted in 1903 and made a baronet in 1919, when the freedom of the City of London was conferred upon him. He later became Member of Parliament for Chorley. As Chairman of Lancashire Education Committee for no less than nineteen years, he was a strong advocate of technical education, and secured for Chorley the Technical Institution Building, now the town's Central Library in Union Street. From 1905 this building housed the Chorley Grammar School, previously located in the grounds of St Laurences and then in Queens Road, until the opening of its final building, now Parklands High School, in 1961.
The Tower Clock
A further lasting memorial is commemorated in another plaque which can be seen in the Picture of clock face on towerinner entrance hall. This is the Tower Clock, installed in 1920 at a cost of £200 and given by John William and Maude Gillibrand Rigby in memory of their son William Geoffrey Morris Rigby lost at the battle of the Somme 1916. This clock is still wound by hand on a weekly basis. A handle is used to wind up the clock mechanism which takes 60 turns, the quarter, half hour and three quarters of an hour chimes take 120, and the hour chimes take another 120, thus bringing the total number of turns to 300. The clock will run for 10 days on one winding before stopping. The clock is serviced once a year by a clock specialist company.
Picture of St George and Dragon on glass door Depicting St George and the dragon, these engravings were executed by artist Garth Edwards in 1973. When one panel was smashed in an act of vandalism in 1998 it was fortunate that Mr Edwards was able to produce a replacement.